lunes, 27 de junio de 2011

Why the Left Has Failed to Mobilize Black Americans Around the Dream Act | TheLoop21.com

Why the Left Has Failed to Mobilize Black Americans Around the Dream Act | TheLoop21.com


Blacks have something to say about illegal immigration too, but does anybody care?

By: Keli Goff | theLoop21.com 
Mon, 06/27/2011 - 2:25am
 

Jose Antonio Vargas (pictured) contributes to America, but is an illegal immigrant. Should he be allowed to stay?
There have been a number of times in which I’ve been proud of my mom, but I don’t know that I’ve ever been more proud than the day I told her that a dear friend, was here in the U.S. illegally. 
When I confided that Jose Antonio Vargas, a terrific journalist and all around great human being, was the illegal immigrant in question my mom’s first response was, “how can I help? I mean could I adopt him or something?”
Her reaction nearly brought me to tears, and Jose too when I shared it with him. You see illegal immigration is a subject I’ve never written about, in part because my own feelings about the subject are complex, and I knew her feelings about the subject were complicated as well. But ultimately her compassionate response, and our conversation that followed, made it crystal clear to me that there has been a real failure in our country when it comes to the issue of comprehensive immigration reform

No hay comentarios.: